Thursday, June 02, 2005

My response

Dear friends,

I hope you read this because it is something i feel strongly about.

First of all i'm not targetting anyone here, i think it's good to spread around good christian literature.But i would really like to point out a few VERY WRONG things from this guys email.

Firstly, NO WHERE in the bible does it state that we should perceive lessons about GOD from the words of non-believers. Good comes from the righteous and Godly.

Matt 12-34-35
34You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things
out of the evil stored up in him.

Why? simply because this colludes the idea that all words from God are God inspired. Only the word of God and man of faith can speak words that inspire others to the lord which are based on the bible not a movie!

2 Timothy 3:15-17
16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be
thoroughly equipped for every good work.

You can use daily examples to learn about God, but the important thing is that the lesson has to be based on God and His Word. Not vague references.

Closest that the bible even comes to saying that the Lord speaks through unconventional means is when Paul was in prison and his letter to the church of Phillipi:

Phillipians 1:14-18
14Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish
ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And
because of this I rejoice.

The intentions were wrong but the CORRECT word was still being spread. As such God's word was still being preached!

Imagine, if we all started pulling out meanings from Star Wars what will become of God? Next thing you know, we will say that Gollum in LOTR is like Christ, sacrificing himself to destroy the great evil which is sauron or
that Anakin's death in 6 to destroy palpatine is like the matrydom of paul who once persecuted the christians and then became a great apostle! Goodness! This cannot BE!

What we say as christians is very important. We have to make it veyr clear that we derive everything we know by faith and base it on the true word, the bible. What would non christians think if we go looking for God in films
like star wars? If that isn't an atheistic film then i don't know what is. What about chicken soup for the soul? The book that perpetuates that the belief in miracles and self-realisation / reliance will be enough to see us
through. It's a very mild book that doesn't really contradict God out right but if we can see meaning in Star Wars, then what's to stop non-christians from looking to Books such as <7 habits of highly effective people> for
guidance in life! (the book preaches have a sole belief/focus in life and God does not necessarily need to be that particular focus).

Jesus himself did not quote anything BUT the Bible when he preached. When he was tempted by Satan he quoted the bible Matt 4. He did not quote from the Quran saying 'see even the muslims believe in one God' nor did he say that
'Buddha did good works, so should you'. The bible is sufficient! Why look elsewhere?

As an example let me state the possible dangers of using Star wars to extract lesson in God. The redemption of Anakinin 6, is he like christ? NO. the article seems to
allude to that to appeal to non christians. Point, Anakin was an evil person, not proud of his wife, sinned. Jesus was perfect, i think you couldn't state a more profound difference.

That said i would like to move to my 2nd point and that is regards to the disclaimer that the writer put up and other things he said near the end.

"The biggest movie sagas of late, however (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars),
envision a salvation for mankind closer to what we believe. In these
stories, perfection and order only comes through the
re-institution of a former authority. Only when Righteous power is restored
to pre-eminence shall wars cease and evil flee.
So for now, Evil will have its day, and not just at the box office. But we
already know that Victory has been won a long, long time ago, in a galaxy
not very far away. Our own galaxy."

Salvation 'CLOSER' to what we believe???? Goodness, so there is a possible parallel? NO there ISN'T!There is none! To have such views is to accept that by our own strength we can more or less come to the truth. WRONG! Our salvation is brought about by God's grace, it has NOTHING to do with our own action the 'FORCE' or Frodo and Gandalf. God GAVE US salvation. IT IS HERE! it is neither a past nor future thing, it is eternal.

And 'evil will have its day'? Or as he said later, the evil will eventually be triumphed over? When is that? Yes the triumph has happened, but such a sentiment does not bring out the urgency of the need to spread the word. Yes
we christians know we are saved and that EVENTUALLY we will see God, but what about those who aren't? Milliions die without even knowing God! IS it enough to know what God will triumph in the end? NO! There is the need to
Believe in HIM and not just believe that He has/will succeed.

And finally his disclaimer. To state that we should look at things like star wars because they are worth something is very very wrong as i have stated above. Just because fox turned it down initially and then the merchandising
rights before it became a success means we should look at is closer. It is precisely why we SHOULDN'T look at it closer for it just shows how successful tales from the devil are

And then he quoted Jeremiah 15:19 to substantiate his usage of the example. "I would like to point out that the bible has been MIS QUOTED. " DISCLAIMER: This commentary is written with the posture of "Extracting the precious from the worth;ess" (Jer 15:19)."

Allow me to post the ENTIRE JEREMIAH 15

Jeremiah 15
1 Then the LORD said to me: "Even if Moses and Samuel were to stand before me, my heart would not go out to this people. Send them away from my presence! Let them go! 2 And if they ask you, 'Where shall we go?' tell
them, 'This is what the LORD says:
" 'Those destined for death, to death;
those for the sword, to the sword;
those for starvation, to starvation;
those for captivity, to captivity.'
3 "I will send four kinds of destroyers against them," declares the LORD, "the sword to kill and the dogs to drag away and the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth to devour and destroy. 4 I will make them
abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth because of what Manasseh son of Hezekiah king of Judah did in Jerusalem.
5 "Who will have pity on you, O Jerusalem?
Who will mourn for you?
Who will stop to ask how you are?
6 You have rejected me," declares the LORD.
"You keep on backsliding.
So I will lay hands on you and destroy you;
I can no longer show compassion.
7 I will winnow them with a winnowing fork
at the city gates of the land.
I will bring bereavement and destruction on my people,
for they have not changed their ways.
8 I will make their widows more numerous
than the sand of the sea.
At midday I will bring a destroyer
against the mothers of their young men;
suddenly I will bring down on them
anguish and terror.
9 The mother of seven will grow faint
and breathe her last.
Her sun will set while it is still day;
she will be disgraced and humiliated.
I will put the survivors to the sword
before their enemies,"
declares the LORD.
10 Alas, my mother, that you gave me birth,
a man with whom the whole land strives and contends!
I have neither lent nor borrowed,
yet everyone curses me.
11 The LORD said,
"Surely I will deliver you for a good purpose;
surely I will make your enemies plead with you
in times of disaster and times of distress.
12 "Can a man break iron—
iron from the north—or bronze?
13 Your wealth and your treasures
I will give as plunder, without charge,
because of all your sins
throughout your country.
14 I will enslave you to your enemies
in [a] a land you do not know,
for my anger will kindle a fire
that will burn against you."
15 You understand, O LORD;
remember me and care for me.
Avenge me on my persecutors.
You are long-suffering—do not take me away;
think of how I suffer reproach for your sake.
16 When your words came, I ate them;
they were my joy and my heart's delight,
for I bear your name,
O LORD God Almighty.
17 I never sat in the company of revelers,
never made merry with them;
I sat alone because your hand was on me
and you had filled me with indignation.
18 Why is my pain unending
and my wound grievous and incurable?
Will you be to me like a deceptive brook,
like a spring that fails?
19 Therefore this is what the LORD says:
"If you repent, I will restore you
that you may serve me;
if you utter worthy, not worthless, words,
you will be my spokesman.
Let this people turn to you,
but you must not turn to them.
20 I will make you a wall to this people,
a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you
but will not overcome you,
for I am with you
to rescue and save you,"
declares the LORD.
21 "I will save you from the hands of the wicked
and redeem you from the grasp of the cruel."

This is the passage in question. I have read it a LOT of times. And all i can say is that Jeremiah is the precious one extracted from the worthless jews of that time because he was Godly. He would be a bane to the people but God has his plan for him. Jeremiah was a prophet anointed by God and bless by God, not some sci-fi movie. The comparison is BAD and very misleading.
And what's more, the bible states that God chose Jeremiah for he spoke 'worthy' not 'worthless' things. To use this as example to support the letter is VERY WRONG.

There i said my piece. This is not a personal attack . I feel that the article is wrong, and i wish to put what is wronged
right.

Mok

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home